Parent’s & Guardian’s Code of Conduct
In addition to Little Athletics WA General Code of Conduct, you must meet the following requirements with regard to your conduct during any activity held by or under the auspices of Little Athletics WA, Member Centres or Clubs in your role as a parent/guardian:
- Encourage your child to participate but do not force them. Remember children are involved in Little Athletics for their enjoyment, not yours.
- Focus upon your child’s efforts and performance rather than the overall outcome of the event. This assists your child in setting realistic goals related to his/ her ability by reducing the emphasis on winning.
- Teach your child that an honest effort is as important as winning, so that the result of each event is accepted without undue disappointment.
- Encourage your child to always participate according to the rules.
- Be a model of good sports conduct for children to copy. Applaud good performances and effort by all little athletes.
- Never ridicule, yell at or scold a little athlete for making a mistake or losing.
- Never use bad language.
- If you disagree with an official or coach raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than question their judgement and honesty in public.
- Refrain from conduct which could be regarded as sexual harassment, discrimination, bullying or victimisation.
- Recognise and respect the value and importance of volunteer administrators, coaches and officials. They give up their time and resources to provide recreational activities for little athletes and deserve your support.
- Be courteous in communication with administrators, coaches, little athletes and officials. Teach your child to do the same.
- Support the use of age appropriate development activities and modified rules.
- Turn defeat into victory by encouraging your child to work towards skill improvement, good sportsmanship and attaining personal best performances.